This Step-by-Step Guide covers the process of identifying suitable alternatives to a permanent exclusion An exclusion that results in the young person being removed from the school register and barred from the school’s campus indefinitely. and exploring them with the family and the school to prevent an exclusions challenge taking place.
The steps in this guide:
- Involving the local education authority;
- Identifying the possible alternatives to
An exclusion that results in the young person being removed from the school register and barred from the school’s campus indefinitely.
- Withdrawal of the exclusion
- Managed moves
- Elective home education
- Considering the timing of the governors’ exclusion panel to accommodate alternative arrangements.
When to use this guide
Before the governor’s hearing, after you have spoken with the family and understand what they want to achieve, and the options they would like to explore.
If you want more information on the law and theory behind the steps in this guide see:
- Quick Guide: Managed Moves
- Quick Guide: Elective Home Education
- Quick Guide: the Headteacher’s power to withdraw an exclusion