Summer Intern – Education & Community Care
Reports to: Education & Community Care Solicitor
Time Commitment: A minimum of 3 days per week from July-September 2017
Please note this is an unpaid volunteer role; however, reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Under the supervision of the respective solicitor the role will involve some or all of the following:
- assisting solicitors in undertaking case work, for example taking instructions from clients, drafting correspondence, drafting legal representations;
- undertaking office-based duties that may be required to support the solicitors in their tasks, such as booking meetings, contacting clients, opening new files, drafting attendance notes, filing and helping to keep files up to date;
- carrying out ad-hoc routine administrative tasks, including preparing bundles for applications for judicial review, faxing, filing as required;
- couriering papers to barristers/court and lodge papers at court if necessary;
- assisting with public funding applications – communicating with the legal aid agency, completing further applications for funding, to assess clients’ means in order to determine their eligibility for legal aid;
- assisting with closing and billing files; • researching any specific area of law or case law as requested;
- archiving old files ensuring all details are properly recorded in our archiving system.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate to clients and other professionals, both internally and externally;
- Good IT skills – proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and willingness to learn to use our case management system and client database;
- Attention to detail and maintaining accurate records. Knowledge of time-recording is desirable;
- Good organisational skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as on their own within an office environment;
- Ability to take the initiative and be pro-active;
- An understanding of some of the issues and obstacles that the client group regularly encounter;
- Commitment to the work and values of Just for Kids Law and to the welfare of the client group;
- An understanding and commitment to client confidentiality;
- Must consent to and provide all relevant documentation for an enhanced disclosure by the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service).
How to Apply
Please email your CV and a short covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 26 June 2017. We hope to interview shortlisted candidates on 30 June 2017 so please try to ensure you are available on this date.